The most recent data from the Federal Statistical Office of Germany indicates that Indian students have become the most significant international community on German campuses. The figures reveal a notable growth of 26% over the past year, bringing the total number of Indian students in Germany to 42,997. If you want to join the community most easily and quickly, keep reading this guide on German student visa for Indian students in 2024.
In this guide:
- What can Indian Students do with a German Student Visa?
- What are the German Student Visa for Indian Students Requirements?
- How much are Visa Fees and Bank Balance for German Student Visa?
- Where can you apply for a German student visa in India?
- What are the Steps to Apply for a German Student Visa for Indian Students?
- What should Students do upon coming to Germany?
What can Indian Students do with a German Student Visa?
Suppose you have been accepted to study at a German university, recognized institution, university of Applied Sciences, college of Arts and Music, or a similar higher education institution. In that case, you can apply for a German student visa.
This German student visa for Indian students is for full-time university studies or preparatory courses, like foundation courses.
With a German student visa, you have an initial 3-month stay in Germany. During this period, you must apply for a residence permit to study. This permit can last up to two years, and you can extend it based on the duration of your studies.
Here are the types of studies you can pursue with a German student visa:
- Full-time academic studies.
- German language courses for studies.
- Propaedeutic course.
- Mandatory preliminary internship.
- State preparatory college ‘Studienkolleg’: This is for foreigners whose school-leaving certificate is not recognized in Germany. After completing the course, you’ll take the “Feststellungsprüfung” test. Passing this test gives you a university entrance qualification certificate, allowing you to apply for university admission in Germany.
In addition, Indian students can do the following activities having a German student visa:
- Extend Visa: Apply for an extension of the student residence permit if you still need to finish your planned studies within the visa period and complete them reasonably.
- Part-Time Job: Work part-time for up to 120 working days per year. It includes working part-time in an academic institution where you are studying. However, your work should be fine with your study progress.
- Residence Permit for Job-Seeking: Apply for a residence permit for job-seeking after graduation. It is available if you’ve completed your studies in Germany. With this permit, you can search for a job or become self-employed for up to 6 months after graduation. You may also take temporary jobs while looking for a permanent job related to your academic qualification.
However, there are things you may not do with such a visa:
- Full-Time Job: You cannot engage in a full-time job that requires 240 working days per year. While you’re a student, you do not qualify to apply for a work permit for a full-time job.
- Abandon Study: You must continue study lessons. Participate in study lessons to avoid the cancellation of your eligibility to remain in Germany.
What are the German Student Visa for Indian Students Requirements?
To apply for a German student visa for Indian students you need the following documents:
- National Visa Application Forms: Fill out two forms.
- Valid Indian Passport: Ensure your passport is valid.
- Biometric Photos: Provide two recent biometric portrait photographs.
- Proof of Admission: Show proof of admission from a German educational institution. It could be a letter of admission for university studies, a foundation course, a propaedeutic course, or a preparatory German language course.
- Language Proficiency: Demonstrate proficiency in German or English, depending on your program. For German, provide results from exams like DSH, TestDaF, Goethe Institute German Language Diploma, or DSD. For English, submit scores from exams like TOEFL or IELTS.
- Educational Documents: Include authenticated certificates of previous education in India. Provide the German university entrance qualification “Abitur” or an equivalent foreign academic qualification if applicable. Include academic records, curriculum vitae, and internships or work experience evidence.
- Financial Proof: Show evidence of financial means to cover living, accommodation, and study costs. Options include a blocked bank account, a letter of commitment from a resident in Germany, a declaration letter from a parent, a scholarship awarding certificate, or proof of a paid German student visa application fee.
- Health Insurance: Obtain student health insurance with at least INR 27 lakh coverage for at least three months.
- Motivational Letter: Write a letter explaining your choice of university and study program and how it aligns with your career plans.
- Marriage Certificate (if applicable): Provide a marriage certificate and, if appropriate, a birth certificate for any children.
- Payment Proof: Show proof of payment for the German student visa application fee. Remember, submit original documents along with two photocopies of each.
The decision on your application depends on the information and supporting documents you provide. So try to do your best to meet the complete requirements.
How much are Visa Fees and Bank Balance for German Student Visa?
Indian students applying for a German student visa are required to pay fees based on their age:
Discover thousands of Programes + Try Acceptance Estimation tool for free
We already have more than 5000 universities’ programs on our website, so you can search and choose your best-fit programs and estimate your acceptance chances.Explore Program
- Applicants under 18 years old: INR 3420
- Applicants over 18 years old: INR 6840
The German Embassy/Consulate requires Indian students to deposit INR 10 lakh into a blocked bank account when applying for a student visa to Germany.
You may get a German student visa without a blocked account, too. However, you should meet one of these conditions:
- Parent’s Financial Documents: Submit your parent’s documents certifying their income and financial assets.
- Guarantee from a Friend or Relative: A friend or relative with permanent residence in Germany is guaranteed to cover your living expenses.
- Scholarship Award Notification: Present a scholarship award notification from a recognized institution.
If you can’t fulfill these requirements, having a blocked account becomes a mandatory prerequisite for obtaining a German student visa for Indian students to study in Germany.
Where can you apply for a German student visa in India?
To apply for a German study visa in India, you must submit your application to the German Mission responsible for your jurisdiction. Here’s a breakdown:
- German Embassy in New Delhi: Jurisdiction: Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu, Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Chandigarh, Delhi, Andaman, Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Minicoy, Amindive.
- German Consulate General in Bangalore (Bengaluru): Jurisdiction: Karnataka, Kerala.
- German Consulate General in Chennai: Jurisdiction: Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Union Territory of Puducherry.
- German Consulate General in Kolkata: Jurisdiction: West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura.
- German Consulate General in Mumbai: Jurisdiction: Maharashtra, Union States of Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Goa, Madhya Pradesh, Union Territories of Daman, Diu, and Dadra, Nagar Haveli.
Please note that the German Honorary Consul in Goa and the German Honorary Consul in Thiruvananthapuram do not accept visa applications. Make sure to apply at the appropriate mission based on your location.
If you’re willing to study in Germany check rhis out👇🏼
What are the Steps to Apply for a German Student Visa for Indian Students?
Here is a simplified step-by-step guide for Indian students applying for a German student visa:
Step 1: Open a Blocked Bank Account
Open a blocked bank account to show proof of financial resources. You can do this online through approved providers like Expatrio or the Indian branch of a valid German bank.
Step 2: Complete the Visa Application Form
Fill out the “Application for a National Visa” form online or download and complete a PDF copy from the German Mission in India. Have your ID card and passport ready.
Step 3: Take Biometric Visa Pictures
Take passport-size pictures with a white background and 35mm x 45mm dimensions. Most photo studios in major Indian cities are familiar with German visa photo requirements.
If you intend to continue studying abroad, we will accompany you on this journey and show you the easiest way.visit our servises
Step 4: Collect Required Documents
Gather all required documents on the “Checklist for a German national visa – student.” Download and submit a copy of the checklist with your date and signature.
Step 5: Make an Appointment with the German Embassy
Schedule an appointment with the German Mission in India responsible for your jurisdiction. It can be done online or through VFS Global.
Step 6: Get a Visa Fee Demand Draft
Pay the visa fee through a Demand Draft at the end of your visa appointment. German Missions accept Demand Drafts from all nationalized banks in India.
Step 7: Submit the Application, Attend the Interview, and Pay the Visa Fee
Attend your appointment on time with all necessary documents. Participate in a visa interview with an Embassy/Consulate officer who will ask about your trip and study plans. Pay the visa fee at the end of the appointment.
How Long Does It Take to Issue German Student Visa?
After the visa interview, the processing time for a decision from the Embassy/Consulate in India typically ranges from 15 to 30 working days.
However, this duration may vary depending on the Embassy’s workload and whether additional documents are required.
It’s worth noting that some Indian students, as shared on online forums, have reported waiting periods of four to six weeks, and sometimes even up to 12 weeks, to receive a decision on their visa.
Once you have obtained your student visa, you can travel to Germany. You can apply for a student residence permit at the Foreigners’ Registration Office upon arrival. This additional permit is necessary to reside in Germany for your studies legally.
Here are best cities for Indian student to take their study abroad journey there👇🏼
What should Students do upon coming to Germany?
Before starting your studies in Germany, there are several essential steps to follow:
- Firstly, secure permanent accommodation in Germany, whether it’s a student residence, shared flat, or a rented apartment. Having proof of a permanent address will be crucial for various future requirements.
- Next, ensure you have health insurance coverage through a German health insurance policy. It is mandatory for everyone residing in Germany.
- Enroll in studies to obtain the certificate of enrollment. Graduate at the student service office during the specified enrollment period mentioned in your admission letter. The certificate of enrollment is essential for address registration, residence permit applications, and obtaining discounts.
- To enroll at a German university as an Indian, you’ll need a valid national passport with a valid student visa, a letter of admission, recent passport photographs, and student health insurance.
- The next step is opening a current bank account with a recognized German bank. This account will be used for various payments, including rent, study fees, registration fees, and other bills. It’s also necessary to receive subsidies or your salary.
- Register your living address at the Resident’s Registration Office or Citizen’s Bureau within one week of finding permanent housing. Upon completion of the application, you’ll receive a confirmation of registration.
Finally, apply for a residence permit for your studies at the Foreigners’ Registration Office once you have the registration confirmation. It should be done while holding a valid German student visa for Indian students in 2024.
It is a complete guide to getting a German student visa for Indian students in 2024. If you need requirements, rules, and processes for study visas for other countries, keep reading Abroadin’s blog. We provide you with the latest and the most accurate daily information.